Wednesday, February 25, 2015

You put what on your face?

Oil. 
You read that right. Oil. But wait a second, isn't that nearly the last thing that would be good for your face? Aren't we avoiding looking oily? 
We are avoiding oily, but there are a plethora of oils that are exceedingly beneficial to our skin. Currently, there is a bit of a fad around beauty oils, so they are fairly easy to come by. Let's take a deeper look into the ones that I have tested and the ones that remain in my skin care repertoire.

What?
Olive Oil: Hight in antioxidants, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, prevents cell destruction, moisturizes and softens skin and hair, promotes hair growth (you probably won't grow a beard), and won't clog pores.
Coconut Oil: Reduces premature aging, hight in antioxidants, Vitamin E, promotes hair growth, antibacterial properties, soothes bug bites, and hydrates skin quickly.  
Grapeseed Oil: Not a fan, so who cares about the benefits. 
Avocado Oil: Rich in antioxidants such as Vitamins A, D and E. Boost scalp health, increase collagen production, and reduce age spots. 
Rosehip Oil: Softens and revitalizes hair, rich in essential fatty acids, fights signs of aging, proven to help with dandruff, can sooth a sunburn, nourish brittle nails, and give your skin a healthy glow.
Macadamia nut Oil: High source of Palmitoleic Fatty Acids which may delay skin and cell aging, light weight, hydrating, promote healing after sunburn, mimics your skin's natural oils. 
Maracuju Oil: Light oil which is soaks into skin quickly, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-itch. 
Jojoba Oil: Light weight, non-greasy, anti-inflammatory properties, may reduce breakouts, and mimics skin's natural oils. 
Argan Oil: Rich in vitamin A and E, Omega-6 fatty acids, moisturizes and eases inflammation in the skin, boosts cell reproduction, and softens hair. 
Tea Tree Oil: Natural topical antiseptic and anti-fungal treatment, relieves itchiness, keeps pests away, naturally cures bad breath, and many, many more. 
Brazilian Buriti fruit Oil: This is the newest oil that I have acquired. It is said to sooth burns as well as filter out harmful UV rays. It is high in vitamin C and A.  
Almond Oil: Rich in vitamin A, B and E. Soothes irritated skin, reduces dark circles, removes dead skin cells, ideal makeup remover. Almond oil is also a great carrier oil and is gently enough for young children. 

Why?
Reasons to use oils: all natural and no chemicals or preservatives. No guesswork with crazy ingredients names that you can't pronounce. These oils are pure. Let's simplify your skin care routine to help you have glowing, clear skin. 

How?
In what ways can oils be used? 
As a cleanser. Use any of these oils to remove impurities, makeup, sunscreen and sweat from your face. 
Use it as an emulsifier for your exfoliant. Add brown sugar and your favorite oil to create your own simple scrub. 
Moisturizer. Help your skin maintain its water content with oil. Gently press it in to your skin after cleansing. If you have exceptionally dry skin, like I do, use oil as a serum and then ten minutes after application, use a cream over the top. This is the most beneficial at night. 
*Winter routine: after putting on a thick layer of moisturizer after applying oil, I will lay a thin layer of a cotton pad that has been dampened with water over the top. Lay down and rest for 10-15 minutes. This will slow the evaporation rate and really allow the nutrients penetrate your skin. 

Where?
All over! I've put the entire list above on my face. Not all at the same time, mind you. That might be fun though. 

Olive Oil: I mix this and coconut oil together and make a mask for my hair. 
Coconut Oil: I have added this to my moisturizer of raw cocoa butter. I also use it when my heels are painfully dry or if my knuckles are starting to crack in the winter. If you get rashes due to stress, this is good as well to sooth the itch. 
Grapeseed Oil: I tried it on my hair once and I couldn't get it out for days. I haven't tried again since. 
Avocado Oil: I have put this in my hair and have used it to remove makeup. If you try this or any of the oils to remove makeup, don't scrub at your skin. Instead, use cotton pads to press the oil gently into your skin. I hold the cotton there for a minute or two and then everything easily slides off. 
Rosehip Oil: I use this as a moisturizer. I like to make an oil cocktail. This with cocoa butter, Argan and Maracuju oil makes your skin so smooth and glowing by morning. Also, several of my favorite facial mists contain Rosehip oil. 
Macadamia nut Oil: This is my favorite to add to my hair. Just a few drops and it makes hair shiny, less frizzy, and no more tangles. 
Maracuju Oil: Great by itself or mixed with others to moisturize. 
Jojoba Oil: Perfect for dry elbows, eczema, and winter skin. 
Argan Oil: If you have curly or hair prone to fly-aways, Argan is perfect for you.
Tea Tree Oil: I only use this when I need to. The scent is pretty strong, and it isn't my favorite. It's really great for cleansing and natural remedies. 
Brazilian Buriti fruit Oil: This is the only oil I use in the morning. 
Almond Oil: I've added this to my moisturizer, lip scrub, and lip balm.

Who?
I think that EVERYONE can and should use oils. It doesn't matter if you have dry, normal, combination, oily, breakout prone, mature, baby, or sensitive skin. 

When?
For hair, I deep condition my hair with coconut and/or olive oils about twice a month or when I feel it's drier than it should be. To tame frizz, add shine, and decrease tangles, I use macadamia nut oil after heat styling. 
For all over skin, I use oils nightly as a cleaner and moisturizer. 
For my lips, I use a homemade lip scrub every other day and a balm multiple times a day. 
For feet, as often as exfoliation is needed. Every other week in winter and nearly daily in summer. 
Cuticles. As needed and after a mani. 

Hope you are now feeling a bit more brave about trying out oils!

Enjoy!
~a

No comments:

Post a Comment