Thursday, September 18, 2014

A Study in Releasing Your Creativity

I like to think that I am a very creative person. I have been since I was knee high to a grasshopper's knee cap. As time has gone on though, I have conformed. I am not as edgy or outlandish as I once was. I remember one of the first times that my creativity was staunched. I was in third grade and we had an art assignment to color a horse, which we then were going to cut out and make its legs move... It's difficult to explain. Anyways, I wanted my horse to be pink and purple, with multicolored curly hair. I was pretty proud of the finished color job, but when I took it to the teacher to move on to the next step of attaching the legs with brads, my teacher scolded me for my color choice. Real horses aren't pink and purple with curly hair. Go color over it. I colored over my lovely colors with brown. BROWN. Brown is an ok color, but over pink and purple? Barf. I had a barf colored horse. It looked awful and I was so sad and ashamed. There have been small, similarly inconsequential attacks to my creativity ever since. Little by little, I have been shoved into a cookie cutter of "normal". Well I say, no more!

To help me shake off the burdens of conformity and standardized thought process when it comes to creativity, I am going to go through the Wreck This Journal challenge. It is supposed to take you outside of your comfort zone and breakdown those barriers. 


The box set of 4 journals is currently perched precariously on my knee. Still all shiny in its vacuum sealed cling wrap. Is that what it's called? Soon I will be releasing it into the wild, also known as my living room. 


My goal is to do at least a page a day and document my journey here. 


If you are interested in going through this adventure also or even with me, I purchased the set on Amazon here. I paid $32 for it and it's suggested retail is $60. Not too shabby of a deal. 


Here are pictures before I destroy the plastic. 







 Stay tuned for the delightful creations and adventures that this journal will redoubtably take me on.

Until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment