Saturday, July 19, 2014

New Recipe: Blueberry Lemonade

Lemonade. Probably the most appropriate drink of summer. Although, I love it year round. This recipe is an experiment that I thought turned out quite well, and I can say that it was a hit with the whole family. It is a twist on the traditional method of making lemonade, where you squeeze the lemons to death, then add sugar, then your fruit of choice, in this case, blueberries. Instead, what I did was this: scrub and slice up the lemons , and one lime for a little something extra into a big pot or bowl, wash and dump in your blueberries, Pour in sugar, then smash away with a potato masher. Once they are good and smooshed, Pour in cold water, then let steep in the fridge for 20-30 minutes, depending on how long you can wait. I suggest not going much over a half hour as the lemons and lime still have their rind, so it can get a bit bitter. Once steeped, strain and enjoy! 


Lemonade
5-6 lemons sliced
1 lime sliced
1 - 2 cups fruit of choice {I used blueberries, but this would work with pretty much any fruit. Strawberries, pinepple, mango, raspberries, ... you get the idea. 
3/4 cup sugar
6 cups water


This was about 6 lemons, 1 lime, and a cup and a half of blueberries in a big pot.
Add 3/4 cup of sugar
Strain! This part would have been easier if I had used cheesecloth, but I couldn't find it. 
Pour over ice and enjoy! Isn't it a gorgeous color?

I also steeped two batches with the same "pulp". 

It is very refreshing! Hope you enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment